MONDAY: Closed
SATURDAY: 9am - 5pm
SUNDAY: 10am - 4pm

Pet Dangers to Avoid for a Hoppy Easter

All Posts Cats Dogs Family Life Health & Wellness Holidays Safety

Easter is quickly hopping its way on over to us. And with the holiday comes plenty of candy, gift baskets, and bunnies. As we await this happy, cheer filled celebration, let’s enjoy the hidden Easter eggs, and avoid the hidden pet dangers. 

While enjoying your day, keep in mind the following hazards to your dog or cat:


Chocolate is a known no-no in the pet world. Harmful to animals, especially, dogs, this sweet is a common, popular candy for every occasion. Especially holidays like Easter. However, it contains the substance theobromine, which is particularly prominent in dark chocolate. Consuming this can lead to your pet vomiting, having diarrhea, twitching, increased heart rate, blood pressure, and is sometimes even fatal. The way in which your pet is affected depends on how much chocolate they consumed, as well as their own size and weight.  


Xylitol is an artificial sweetener used in sugar-free products like candy, baked goods, and gum. Though more evidence is shown displaying its danger to dogs, you should avoid feeding it to your feline, too. It releases insulin, causing a dangerous drop in the blood sugar level of your dog. It leads to reactions similar to chocolate: vomiting, weakness, seizures, and sometimes even death. 

 Easter Eggs 

Easter Eggs are an absolute staple to this holiday, whether you’re decorating raw eggs or hiding candy filled, plastic eggs in the yard. Either way, they should be kept away from your curious companions.

 Raw eggs can give your furry friend salmonella. It’s not common for them to contract it from eating raw eggs, but still possible. Plus, it can lead to a biotin deficiency. A biotin deficiency can cause armenia, lethargy, and dry skin. Raw egg in itself can cause vomiting and diarrhea. Its hard, fragile shell can be sharp on your pet’s gums. Similarly, plastic easter eggs are bad for your pet’s digestion. Should they consume it, the plastic can lead to obstruction or choking. Equally bad is the candy that’s stuffed in the egg. Human candy, especially chocolate, is not meant for your pet’s consumption. To avoid them getting their paws on any eggs, keep them out of the areas where eggs are hidden. Closely supervise at all times to be sure.

 Food Coloring 

Not only are raw eggs dangerous, but the materials used to color and decorate them can be too. Luckily, this is not usually the case. Food coloring, because it’s meant for food (surprise!), is edible. But it’s always safest to check the one you’re using or about to purchase is non-toxic. That’s good for both your pet and the people decorating the eggs. Should your dog or cat ingest some food coloring, it’s not likely for them to have a bad reaction, though you should still contact your veterinarian to be safe.

 Gift Baskets 

All the above listed dangers are usually combined and thrown into one large gift basket. It may be a gift to whoever you’re giving it to, but it certainly isn’t much of a gift to your pet’s health. If your pet manages to dig their paws into the basket, they’ve immediately got access to chocolate, candy (possibly with xylitol), the wrappers of these treats, and Easter eggs. On top of that, there is likely Easter grass bunched together in the basket. Easter grass is the green or yellow plastic grass that gives the aesthetic illusion of hidden eggs in real grass. This basket filler is great for decorative purposes, but cannot be absorbed by your pet if they eat it. Instead, its stringy, long structure can cause your pet to choke. Or it can get lodged in your pet’s body. If you’re choosing to use it in the baskets or goody bags this year, make sure your pet doesn’t have access to it. If possible, opt for paper versions of this filler instead.


Since Easter falls during spring, the flowers are at their liveliest and most beautiful. They make for beautiful decorations, but not good additions to your canine or feline’s diet. Many plants are off limits to pets, including: 

  • Lilies
  • Daffodils
  • Tulips 
  • Amaryllis  

These are only some of the commonly used decorative flowers put on display during Easter. The damage they do depends on the specific type of flower, as well as what part of the flower is consumed. Regardless, it’s best to keep them away from your pet. 


When there’s more than enough dinner to go around, you might be tempted to share with your pet. But many foods are off limits to your pet. Many are toxic to animals, such as onions, grapes, raisins, chives, garlic, etc. Other foods, especially those that are fatty like hen, lamb, and any roast dinners, can cause much gastrointestinal upset in your companion. Avoid the vomiting, diarrhea, gas, or pain in your pet by properly covering leftovers and keeping them out of your hungry puppy or kitten’s reach. 

Easter is a fun, happy, cheerful day for you and your loved ones. It’s hard not to love it with its chocolate, candy filled eggs, gift baskets, and yummy treats. Don’t let the fun be ruined by your pet getting their paws on the wrong goodies.

Older Post Newer Post

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published