Many different types of oils have been used by both people and their pets throughout the years. Coconut oil, CBD oil, Hemp oil, and essential oil have all become popular for several reasons, whether it be their ability to relax and calm, or their ability to leave behind a healthier, glowing look. Another type of oil has recently joined the team - salmon oil!
Salmon oil is taken from the salmon, which is a fish native to the North Atlantic and Pacific Ocean. They hatch in freshwater and migrate to the ocean before returning to the freshwater to reproduce. These are fish with high levels of healthy fats, providing consumers with omega-3 rich oil. There are three types of omega-3 fatty acids, two of them found in salmon oil, which are EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). These make up the outer layers of the cells in your pet’s body.
Salmon oil is chock-full of these essential fatty acids, and it’s extracted through a cold press process that preserves the nutritional value of the oil better than any other boiled fish oil could. However, your pet’s body isn’t able to produce the fatty acids it needs all on its own. That’s why salmon oil is a very useful ingredient to supplement into your dog or cat’s diet, especially since most commercially sold foods don’t provide enough of it. Instead, most foods contain a high level of omega-6, which needs to be balanced with omega-3 to be able to do its job effectively. Supplements will maintain an appropriate ratio between the two and prevent an omega-3 deficiency, simultaneously giving your pet the many advantages that salmon oil has become popular for.
Benefits of Salmon Oil
- Prevention of Allergies - Certain cat and dog breeds are more prone to developing skin allergies. Skin allergies are from the increased inflammation that your pet may get, causing them dry, itchy, irritated, flaky skin or rashes. Salmon oil is known to build a strong skin barrier and reduce the inflammation, which will protect your pet from suffering from an allergic reaction after coming into contact with allergens like dust, pollen, or grass.
- Healthier Coat - Not only do companions have fewer or reduced skin allergies, but healthier fur and coats, too. The oil works from the inside out to provide more moisture, leaving your pet with a lustrous, shiny, soft coat. This means reduced dandruff and shedding, as well.
- Healthier Joints - The reduced inflammation goes for both skin allergies, plus joints and bones. With reduced inflammation, your pet will have better mobility. Salmon oil can help relieve discomfort in older or overweight dogs and cats that have arthritis or soreness. It can even help prevent mobility issues from occurring at all.
- Better Brain Function - The DHA in the oil aids the development and maintenance of cognitive functions. While this is useful and important to all ages of animals, it’s especially helpful for puppies that are still growing. It can help keep older pets’ minds acute, too, and reduce the risk of age-related diseases or conditions, such as Alzeheimer’s.
- FIghts Cancer - Salmon oil can prevent animals from getting cancer and is said to slow down its progression and spread throughout the body. In addition, it aids with conditions caused by cancer like cachexia (the weakening of the body).
- Prevents kidney disease
- Helps with weight loss and maintenance
- Leads to healthier eyes
- Lowers blood pressure and triglycerides in the body
- Improves immune system
- Produces collagen (protein)
The biggest benefit of salmon oil is how easy it is to incorporate it into your companion’s diet! Salmon oil can be given in any form you like, such as treats, capsules, and oils. It’s better to find one that uses wild-caught salmon, has a high ratio of omega-3 to omega-6, and has had its oil extracted at a low temperature. This ensures that your dog or cat is receiving the maximum nutrients and benefits possible. The dosage and amount given to your pet depends on their weight and size, which the product label or your veterinarian should be able to guide you on.