Raw pet food is exactly what it sounds like. Completely uncooked and free from having undergone any heating processes, the process of freezing raw food completely seals in and preserves any of the ingredients’ original nutritional value in its fullest, most natural form. These are the vitamins and minerals that are usually cooked away during heating processes used to create kibble and dry foods. So with raw food, you can trust that your pet is actually getting all the essential nutrients and benefits that many commercially sold products advertise or claim they’re providing.
While different brands may provide different types and formulas of raw food, they essentially use a high quality protein source, such as muscle meat on bones, and sometimes add in nutritious veggies and fruits, which are all your dog needs to receive a complete, balanced diet.
Not only that, but the taste of the ingredients gets locked in, too! Coming in an assortment of shapes and textures, whether it be patties, bites, rolls, nuggets, etc, there are an endless choice of flavors you could choose from. Your canine or feline can enjoy the flavors they have already learned to love, but now in their truest, freshest state.
Benefits of Raw Feeding For The Pet
Raw feeding has had a number of reported advantages for the pet, which include, but are not limited to:
- Oral Hygiene & Dental Care: Since the raw meat typically consists of a chewier, tougher texture and is still left on its bone, your pup or kitten can naturally clean their teeth. Eating raw food reaches parts of your pet’s teeth and gums that help to remove excess plaque and tartar buildup. This reduces the risk of oral diseases and in turn leaves behind a whiter, brighter smile and much fresher breath, unlike dry foods that actually cause bacteria! Plus, actively chewing can strengthen their teeth and jaw muscles.
- Smaller, firmer, less odorous stools: Because raw diets have active enzymes in them and are overall much easier to digest for animals, they get to reap the benefits that come as a result of it. Raw food is so high in nutrients that your companion’s body will be making use of every bite of it they get. Not only might they be using the bathroom less, but the less noticeable smell and smaller size will make cleaning up after your pet much easier!
- Shinier, Softer Skin and Coat: Raw foods, with their high levels of protein and especially their healthy fatty acids, such as omegas, is what gives your pet better coat condition. You can notice it to be much sleeker. Some have even said they’ve noticed a pleasant change in the smell of their pet’s fur and reduced itching, irritation, or flaking in their pet’s skin.
- Muscle Mass & Energy: High quality protein is the building block animals need to build and help repair strong, lean muscles, joints, and tissues. With the better body composition they will soon develop off of a raw diet, the protein and healthy fats can work together to also help your dog become more active and exercise more frequently. This is also more possible with the increased boosts of energy raw diets provide. The extra energy and exercise is great for animals that need an increase in physical activity or need to lose a few pounds!
- Fewer allergies: Food allergies and sensitivities are more common and bound to happen with the highly processed foods that are available. It’s harder to pinpoint exactly what is put into their formulas, especially with unnecessary additives that can lead to sickness, as well. Raw food has single or few ingredients so there’s no processing, additives, or extra ingredients, making it much less likely to cause stomach upsets, flatulence, or other unpleasant allergic reactions.